These are the 1973 MLB Team Labels. They include the team logo, uniform, record, final standing, Manager(s), Ballpark, Capacity, Weather Ratings, Ballpark Effect Ratings, Fence Height, and any other secondary, hat, or commemorative logo. Please see the first blog post for general instructions on printing/application of the labels. These labels may be revised in the future to add uniforms.
This season IS NOT currently available for purchase from Strat-O-Matic. You can look for the set on the secondary market, using sources such as (among others):
Strat O Matic Gamer Forum 2 (the “Buy, Sell, Trade” folder on the left)
- Dynasty Developing: With three 20-game winners, A’s repeat in 7-game Series over Mets
- Star Power: MVPs Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose; Cy Youngs Jim Palmer, Tom Seaver
- Epic performances: Stargell, Aaron, Bonds, Ryan, and 13 20-game winners in first year of DH
The first year of the designated hitter in the American League would have been enough to make 1973 historic. A seven-game World Series following two full-length league championship series would have been enough to make 1973 memorable. So much more:
- Oakland’s Catfish Hunter, Ken Holtzman and Vida Blue all won at least 20 and MVP Reggie Jackson led the AL in HR and RBI (.293-32-117) while winning the second of three straight World Series
- Nolan Ryan threw two no-hitters and struck out a record 383 while winning 21
- John Hiller set a record with 38 saves
- Pittsburgh’s Willie Stargell led the majors with 44 HR; Atlanta had three 40-HR men: Hank Aaron (who pulled within one of Babe Ruth’s career total), Darrell Evans and Davey Johnson.
- San Francisco’s Bobby Bonds just missed being the first 40-40 man with 39 HR, 43 SB
- SF’ Ron Bryant and the White Sox’ Wilbur Wood led 13 20-game winners with 24 each. Wood also lost 20.
27 cards per team … Two-sided cards for basic, advanced and super-advanced play